Thursday 7 March 2013

A pack-mule on the Baz Bus, all the way to Chintsa.

Saturday, 09 February 2013

(Song choice for blog entry: "The Gun" - Lou Reed)


It is not often I find myself surrounded by 4 engineers for a time-lapse of an entire day, and yet here I was.


Trust  an aerospace engineer from Canada, a software engineer from Argentina  and two mechanical engineers from Germany to keep you chipper on what landed up being over 16 hours worth of a bus ride. Despite being cramped for space, and being more late then it ever was on time- I collected great people along with their quirky stories on this route and mode of transport.


I lost my balance as I put on all of my bags. I felt like a pack-mule.
I had shrugged my small backpack on to my front, strapping it up against my chest, as my large hiking bag claimed comfort across my back. My hiking boots hung loosely on either side of my shoulders, tapping at my sides every now-and-then as I fought to stabilise myself. I looked ridiculous, and the proof was in the facial expressions of the other passengers as they watched me and the driver load my bags into the trailer. 

I began my journey clambering my way on to the Baz Bus at around 07h15.
The mini-shuttle taxi was almost full, and fogged up in the morning's crisp attitude.

In Hebrew, there is a saying (phonetically pronounced): "ma-gi-yah li" which translates directly into "I deserve it". You get to a point after such a long and uncomfortable bus ride where all you can do is laugh about the situation. Although the Baz Bus in meant only as a hop on, hop off kind of shuttle (I advise not more then 4 hours at a time), it was I who had made the decision to travel all the way from Cape Town to Buccaneers Lodge and Backpackers in Chintsa.
I deserved it. 

I had acquired a 21 Day Travel Pass on the shuttle, which allows me to travel in any direction I want and as often as I want within a 21 day time period. The nifty part about this shuttle service is that it drops you door-to-door at various backpackers and lodges. One less thing to worry about. 

I decided to pause my journey for the night and rest at Lungile Backpackers in Port Elizabeth, splitting up the long drive to Chintsa, where I would continue in the morning.

The Baz Bus would be fetching me at 06h45 tomorrow morning. Early start, but worth it after the long day I have just had. 

ALI'S TIP OF THE TRIP: Try sitting up against the window or on the aisle of the Baz Bus if you have a long journey ahead. That way you can either rest your head up against the window (NB: BRING A TRAVEL PILLOW WITH YOU) or you can stretch your legs out into the aisle.


ALI'S TIP OF THE TRIP #2: Make friends. The bus will probably be delayed. You will probably get tired. You are inevitably in for a long trip either way. Company is soothing, and sometimes having an acquaintance hanging around is better than a stranger. If you are nervous or shy of making friends - here is a tip: Offer them food. People love food. We are a food orientated culture. Be it chips, sweets, gum or a bite of your stale sandwich from the local gas station - it provides you with the perfect ice-breaker. 


ALI'S TIP OF THE TRIP #3 For bird fans (Something the aerospace engineer from Canada pointed out to me):  While driving up the Garden Route, pay attention to the electricity poles which run along the N2 highway. You will start to notice that there are various birds of prey (eagles, falcons, hawks etc...) perched at the top of these poles every 500m to a kilometre. Sometimes, you are lucky enough to see them dive toward the ground at their prey. Kam and I counted over 20 eagles and hawks at one point of our journey. A good way to pass time.



Please Note: There are other modes of transportation available on the Fairtrade 21 Day Travel Pass. One can choose to rather fly or use DMJ Transport

No comments:

Post a Comment