Saturday 8 June 2013

Greetings from Jerusalem

Hi there! My name is Auður and I'm a 32 year old woman/girl (who's to say when you go from being a girl to woman really) from Reykjavík Iceland. I'm currently partaking in a wonderful project called the Big Blog Exchange which is why you are reading my words here at the Sweeping Swallow instead of Ali's. At home I have a little blog called I heart Reykjavík, where I write about all that my fantastic little island and hometown has to offer to foreign visitors but if you miss Ali - that's where she'll be sharing her experiences of Iceland with my readers. Pretty neat, right? I'm writing these words from her home country, Israel, where I will hopefully be amazed and wowed for the next 10 days.

Keflavík Airport - June 7th 2013 - 12:01

I came to the airport early because the Flybus only offered rides that were a bit too early or a bit too late for my check in 2 hours prior to departure. Since the BigBlogX team had booked me an aisle seat on my first flight I wanted to come early to have it changed and hence opted for the earlier one. I should not have worried/bothered because 40 minutes before boarding the airport is still empty. If overcrowded claustrophobic airports are your thing - Keflavík airport is definitely not for you.

Keflavík Airport 40 minutes before boarding

I decided to say good by to the boyfriend and the little one at home and take the city bus to the bus terminal from where I got on the Flybus. It was a good thing too since I cried like a baby when saying good bye to them. The princess was a bit embarrassed and told me not to cry. That made me cry even more. If anyone would have told me 10 years ago, when I jumped on planes into the unknown all the time without ever looking back, that one day I would cry about leaving on a great adventure that on top of everything  I didn't have to pay for myself I would have laughed in their face. "Me? Never." Children, even if they are "just" your step children, and you own little family changes you. Now when my fear of heights and flying kicks in I imagine how the boyfriend would take it if he got the news my plane has crashed opposed to imagining myself going down in flames before. Obviously, since I'm here writing this, no one when down in flames today.

My beautiful peeps that wait at home


Agron Guesthouse Jerusalem - June 8th - 15:40 

I just woke up after taking a little nap after three flights in 20 hours, a a long wait and a chat with the Israeli border control that found my reasons for entering the country quite suspicious and filling out a lost luggage report when my suitcase didn't show up. We have a saying in Icelandic, Fall er fararheill, which means that if things go wrong in the beginning of a trip the rest is going to go splendidly. I've decided to take that to heart and am hopeful for the rest. I haven't actually seen any of Jerusalem yet, except for the little I saw on the way into the hostel, but since I just came from Iceland where it was about 10°C and raining when I left I fear that I might be a bit over dressed for the 31°C and sun here in Jerusalem. Plus my sunscreen is in my suitcase that decided two hours in De Gaulle was not enough of a pit stop and went out for some Paris exploring of it's own (I actually have no idea where it is, it might still be in Iceland for all I know). At least I bought Aloe Vera after sun in the airport in Keflavík so if I do decide to brave it and venture out for a stroll I have relief for my burned Icelandic skin available upon my return.

Anat, the IYHA staff member who picked me up from the airport and waited patiently for two almost two hours as the airport emptied without me ever coming out, and I decided that today was just a test and tomorrow the trip really begins. I just hope I will have my stuff by then.

Me leaving home today - Image courtesy of HR2. - all rights reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment