Friday 8 February 2013

Flying the nest

As I start typing this post, the time is now 07h42.
Today I embark on my month long journey which takes me travel writing up through South Africa, where I will be learning how to 'travel with a conscience', as well as review the Fairtrade 21 Day Travel Pass <-----Click here for a more in depth description!

I begin my adventure by checking into The Backpack in Cape Town at 13h00. Where I will be lead on my first township tour at 13h30 (await future posts!).

Leaving a home environment is a strange and almost difficult thing.
As I glance around, processing the state of my bedroom, the entire space screams havoc.
Although it is not a pigsty, it IS cluttered.
My cat lies curled up in the middle of my bed in front of me, blissfully ignoring the various objects which are rudely poking into her sides. Around her are various travel guides which I have busied myself in reading in preparation for this trip. I have camera gear, digital voice recorders, spare batteries, my journal, and three piles of clothing forming mini fortresses around the both of us.

Funnily enough, my two travel bags which will host my travel gear are the only two items stacked neatly on top of one another on the floor.

As I look at the state of this bedroom, I wonder what I am going to miss most.
My comfy mattress? My pillows? My JBL Creature speakers? My dressing table? My guitar?  All my clothes? My cat? I could make this list run for an eternity, but perhaps the key to 'flying the nest' is to focus on what you DO have... I should possibly focus on what I am taking WITH me, as opposed to what I am leaving behind??

I have decided to compose a list of all the items which are going into my two travel bags. The aim of this game is to keep tabs on which items were ACTUALLY useful throughout my trip.

I shall review this at the end of my trip, and hopefully have a few tips to pass on to those who shall embark on similar journeys in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment